A viral post making its rounds on facebook has exposed more details on Lucien Wong, the LHL’s personal lawyer-turned Attorney-General of Singapore, despite not having experience on the Bench, nor having acted for the State in legal matters before, a precedent in the AG’s history. So why?
“Interesting facts about Lucien Wong:
1. Lucien Wong was PM Lee Hsien Loong’s personal lawyer and represented him during the dispute with his siblings over LKY’s estate.
2. Shortly after the dispute started, he was quickly nominated to become Attorney General (AG).
3. The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC), which Lucien Wong now heads, represented the Government and successfully fended off legal challenges by LKY’s estate (see http://www.straitstimes.com/…/court-of-appeal-reserves-judg… for example)
4. Lucien Wong is the first ever AG to have no experience on the Bench, and to have never acted for the State in legal matters. He was a corporate lawyer (see http://www.todayonline.com/…/top-corporate-lawyer-lucien-wo…)
5. Lucien Wong was appointed AG at age 63, to replace V. K. Rajah, who had to retire at age 60. When asked about Article 35(4) of the Constitution, which states that the Attorney General shall hold office until he turns 60 years old, Law Minister Shanmugam argues that the Government can arbitrarily decide to appoint someone above the age of 60. (more details at http://www.straitstimes.com/…/parliament-shanmugam-sylvia-l…)
6. Lucien Wong spent 30 years in private practice, and was chairman and senior partner at top law firm Allen & Gledhill. Shanmugam was also a senior partner at the same firm for many years before entering politics.
and Bonus Fact (not about Lucien Wong):
7. The role of ‘Deputy Attorney General’ was only recently created to reflect the “increasing volume and complexity of legal work of the Government”. Earlier this year, and for the first time ever, an ex-PAP MP, Hri Kumar was appointed the Deputy AG (http://www.todayonline.com/…/hri-kumar-appointed-deputy-ag-…)
The more you know!”
Source: Qizhong Chang’s original post