I actually do not think that most Singaporeans are so stupid.
On the day of LWL and LHY’s first letter itself, many of my friends have said the letter is being spread like wild fire among circles of friends. They belong to the polytechnic graduating group (end-20s).
My own circle (also end-20s), though, being university graduates (and mostly civil servants), was very quiet and silent, with a number of them supporting LHL.
I just did a scheming of the comments section at Channel Newsasia’s news video of LHL’s statement last night, and compared it with Channel 8 News’s version, and the difference in opinion representation was shocking.
At Ch 8’s version, about 90% of the comments were against LHL, and the remaining 10% was quite neutral. Ch 8 viewers seemed to be able to discern LHL’s lies and smokescreens. They generally also, present their views in a very civilised, and yet critical manner, some being funnily sarcastic. Many also questioned the way LHL dealt with his siblings using the state’s resources and say they won’t be convinced in his ways. One said, take the matter to court!
At CNA, however, 90% of the comments were pro-LHL and pro-PAP. A check at the facebook profiles of those that got the most likes revealed their backgrounds to be either friends of Jason Chua Chin Seng (admin of Fab About PAP), or were very close with PAP MPs, if not are PAP members themselves. Most here express themselves like City Harvest cult members. With many saying ‘well said and well done’, praising LHL for apologising when he ‘does not need to’, demanding Lee siblings to apologise instead, outrightly criticising and chastising the Lee siblings for going against Big Brother, and posting ‘well wishes’ for LHL’s health.
Maybe the PAP IB hasn’t reached the Chinese online media yet. They have since focused their main influence in the English-language stream since that is the main forum for internet political discourse anyway. Also, most that are close to the LHL inner circle may be the more ‘educated’ ones who are more inclined to use English in facebook communication. Furthermore, CNA fb has a reach of 2 million, whereas Ch 8 fb pales in comparison at 300k, so it might make more sense to the PAP IB to target the English side.
But this contrast also tells us, very clearly: 1) the difference between the ‘opinion’ show at an IB-infested page, versus a non-IB-infested page. The ‘true-blue’ sentiment is most expressed in the non-IB-infested one; and 2) the Chinese-language readers seem more discerning in political review, and are also both more tactful and more expressive in political discourse.
As posted by Albert Tay on his fb page
responded to the post with the following comment:
My fb friend commented on one those pages with his negative opinion anout LHL. And his comment was deleted instantly.